Social media giant Twitter, asked by the govt of India to remove 1,178 accounts for spreading misinformation and “anti-national” content amid the continued farmers’ protests, on Wednesday, 10 February, said that it had withheld some of the accounts within India only.

Earlier, Twitter had suspended several accounts, after the central government had asked it to dam accounts allegedly spreading misinformation and provocative speech. However, facing backlash from thousands of its users, the micro-blogging website reversed its decision; following which, Twitter was served with a legal notice for non-compliance with the government’s decision. It then re-suspended the accounts.

The social media platform further said that it had not taken any action on accounts of media, journalists, activists, and politicians on do so “would violate their fundamental right to free expression under Indian law. To do so, we believe, would violate their fundamental right to free expression under Indian law. We informed MeitY of our enforcement actions today,” it wrote during a blog post.

“We will still advocate for the proper of free expression on behalf of the people we serve. We are exploring options under Indian law — both for Twitter and for the accounts that are impacted. We remain committed to safeguarding the health of the conversation occurring on Twitter, and strongly believe that the Tweets should flow,” the blogpost further read.

Earlier, it had been reported that Twitter had reportedly reached bent the Ministry of Electronics and knowledge Technology (MEITY) after the request to dam accounts.

In a statement, a corporation spokesperson had asserted that tweets must still flow.

“We strongly believe that the open and free exchange of data features a positive global impact, which the Tweets must still flow,” they said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here